Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Recipe Review: Black Bean Chili

black bean chili 012

I don’t think that there is a more perfect winter meal than chili and corn bread. Chili is a touchy subject in the Hyphenated House as The Husband eats meat and I do not.

It was a cold Saturday and I had not done the weekly shopping yet. I frantically searched the interwebs for a chili recipe using what we had on had. Vegetarian Times came to the rescue.

The chili was perfect for me as is and I browned some ground beef in onions, garlic and some chili spices for The Husband to add to his bowls. It was the perfect chili compromise.

Black Bean Chili with Dark Ale, courtesy Vegetarian Times
Serves 8, 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, drained and minced
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. ground cumin
1 large onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
5 cloves garlic, minced (5 tsp.)
2 14-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
24 oz. gluten-free dark beer
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn


Heat oil in 3-qt. pot over medium heat. Add chipotles and cumin; season with salt, if desired. Cook 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Stir in beans, beer, tomatoes, and corn. Bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, or until thick.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. Ryan isn't usually a fan of chili, but I think I can entice him with the beer :)

    ReplyDelete